Mermaids is passionate about supporting children, young people, and their families to achieve a happier life in the face of great adversity. We work to raise awareness about gender nonconformity in children and young people amongst professionals and the general public. We campaign for the recognition of gender dysphoria in young people and lobby for improvements in professional services.
Formed in 1995 by a group of parents brought together by their children’s longstanding gender incongruence, Mermaids has evolved and grown to meet demand and offer appropriate resources to young people, their families and carers, and professionals working with gender variant young people. Formed primarily as a support group, our focus has widened dramatically over the last few years.
Mermaids supports children and young people up to 20 years old who are transgender and/or gender diverse, and their families, and professionals involved in their care.
We work to:
- Reduce isolation and loneliness for gender variant and transgender children, young people and their families.
- Empower families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate the education and health services.
- Reduce suicidality and self-harm in the young people who contact Mermaids, equip their parents to support their children to the same end.
- Improve self-esteem and social functioning in gender variant and transgender children, young people.
- Improve awareness, understanding and practices of GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.
Helpline: 0808 801 0400
Open Monday - Friday; 9am - 9pm (Bank Holiday opening times may vary). Has answer machine.
We have a helpline, an email support service, a parents forum and a separate teens forum, plus we organise multiple residential weekends per annum, and have several support groups. We can also give you information and links to other local organisations.
Facebook page: MermaidsGender